How to Make a Complaint About Treatment by SC Department of Mental Health
- Request a form called “Request for Review” from the local advocate at your Mental Health Center or Facility. You can ask any staff member who your advocate is or look on the mental health website. Complete the form.
- Give or send the form to the local advocate.
- The advocate will conduct a review, complete a report and send you a copy of the results.
- If you are not satisfied with the results, contact the local advocate and request a review by the facility or center director. There is another form to be completed to request this review.
- The director will conduct a review, complete a report and send you a copy of the results.
- If you are still not satisfied, contact the Client Advocacy Office at the Department of Mental Health in Columbia. P.O. Box 485, Columbia, SC 29202. Phone: 1-866-300-9330 (Toll Free) or 1-803-898-8557.
- The Client Advocacy Office will again conduct a review and attempt to resolve your concerns with local or agency officials.
- If you remain dissatisfied, you may request a review by the State Director of Mental Health.
- The State Director will conduct a review and make a decision. The State Director’s decision will be the final step in the review process.
This publication provides legal information, but is not intended to be legal advice. As the law may change, please contact Disability Rights South Carolina for updates. Please let us know if you would like this information in an alternative format.
The Protection and Advocacy System for South Carolina. This publication was made possible by funding support by SAMHSA. These contents are solely the responsibility of the grantee and do not necessarily represent the official views of SAMHSA.
Last updated: 2020