Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security
Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security:
Assisting Social Security and SSI Beneficiaries with Return to Work Issues
What is PABSS?
Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security (PABSS) was established under the Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999. PABSS, which
is funded by a grant from the Social Security Administration (SSA), is responsible for protecting the legal rights of Social Security (SSDI) beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who wish to start work or increase their amount of work-related earnings. PABSS is part of Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities, Inc. (P&A), a statewide non-profit organization that has been advocating on behalf of individuals with disabilities since 1977. P&A services are free to all eligible
Who is eligible for PABSS services?
You are eligible for PABSS services if….
- You are a South Carolinian with a disability who receives Social Security disability benefits or Supplemental Security Income benefits, and
- You need information about how working or increasing your work related earnings will affect your benefits, or
- You are having trouble getting the vocational rehabilitation or other employment related services or support you need in order to work or increase your work related earnings, including concerns you may have with your employer about reasonable accommodations.
What services does PABSS provide? If you are eligible for our assistance, PABSS can….
- Provide information about the programs, services and supports available to help you work
- Provide information about the numerous work incentives that may be helpful in your efforts to get meaningful work
- Refer you to professionals who can explain how working or increasing your work related earnings will affect your benefits and help you plan for the future
- Assist you if you encounter problems in getting the services and supports you need to work or increase your work related earnings
- Advocate on your behalf to resolve any conflicts you may have with service providers or employers as you seek to work or increase your work related earnings
Contact P&A at our toll-free information and referral number, 1 866 275-7273 (voice and TTY). Visit our website, www.pandasc.org, or e-mail us, [email protected]
For more Information about Ticket to Work
The Social Security Administration’s website has information about the Ticket at www.ssa.gov/work. Maximus, a private company, has been contracted by the Social
Security Administration as the Program Manager for the Ticket program. Maximus staff can be reached at 1 866-968-7842 (1 866 YOURTICKET); TTY 1 866- 833-2967(1 866 TDD2WORK). Maximus’ website is www.yourtickettowork.com. Alternative formats are available upon request.
This publication provides legal information, but is not intended to be legal advice. The information was based on the law at the time it was written. As the law may change, please contact the P&A for updates.
This publication is funded in part by the US Social Security Administration. It was reviewed for technical accuracy by the Social Security Administration (SSA). However, it should not be considered an official SSA document and does not necessarily represent the official views of the funding authority.
P&A does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, gender, or national origin in the provision of its programs or services. Pete Cantrell is P&A’s designated coordinator for Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. April 2012 No. PABSS-01