Rep Payee and Voting Outreach Advocate
Disability Rights South Carolina (DRSC) is a private, statewide nonprofit which protects and advocates for the legal, civil and human rights of people with disabilities. DRSC believes that people with disabilities are people first, and are the primary decision makers in all areas of their life. Our goals include safety and protection, community integration, and equal access for people with disabilities. This position plays a vital role in achieving these goals.
The Rep Payee and Voting Outreach Advocate for Disability Rights South Carolina (DRSC) shall work nonexempt under federal Department of Labor regulations.
The person will help plan and implement outreach activities associated with the Rep Payee and Protection & Advocacy for Voting Access (PAVA) program. The person will report to both the Rep Payee Coordinator and the Voting and Outreach Coordinator and assist these individuals in implementing outreach activities.
The position is a remote work position, but orientation and training will be in the office, and in-person meetings and facilities visits will be required.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
Rep Payee Responsibilities (70%)
Under the supervision of the Rep Payee Coordinator, the person will:
- Assist the Rep Payee Coordinator on training Disability Rights South Carolina staff. Specific training topics will include:
- Resource Advocacy (Info and Resources)
- Handling internal referrals to/from the Rep Payee Team
- Assist Rep Payee Coordinator in creating a process of how referrals to and from other P&A Programs will occur.
- Create presentations and materials for external outreach efforts, using NDRN or other resources about the Rep Payee process.
- Share presentations and outreach materials with staff to use during Disability Rights South Carolina typical training events.
- Work with the Marketing/Project Coordinator to create social media posts and stories to highlight the Rep Payee program.
- Research and identify groups that serve/work with people that would likely have a Rep Payee and be vulnerable to exploitation, and assist the Rep Payee Coordinator in developing a plan to provide outreach to these groups.
- Speak at outreach events as needed
- Assist with Rep Payee reviews as needed.
Voting Rights Responsibilities (30%)
Under the supervision of the Voting/Outreach Coordinator, the person will:
- Assist the Voting and Outreach Coordinator with the SC Disability Voting Coalition.
- Assist the Voting and Outreach Coordinator in preparing annual goals and priorities for the PAVA program for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Assist the Voting and Outreach coordinator in preparing the annual federal Protection & Advocacy Voting Access report.
- Speak at outreach events as needed.
Performs other duties as requested or required.
Bachelor’s degree required in related field with three years in program coordination, outreach, marketing, or advocacy experience. Must undergo background check and security clearance.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Commitment to the mission, vision and values of Disability Rights South Carolina.
Ability and willingness to speak in public.
Ability to work with individuals from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others, and maintain confidentiality.
Strong and effective writing and verbal communications skills.
Excellent detail-orientation, follow-up skills and organizational skills plus the ability to multi-task.
In-state travel will be required
How to Apply
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume via mail or email to Lorie Boddie, Finance & Human Resources Manager, 3710 Landmark Drive, Suite 208, Columbia, SC 29204 or email at [email protected]. Deadline for submission is Friday, May 28, 2021.
State background checks will be requested. No phone calls please.
EOE. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.