DRSC Service Spotlight: Assistive Technology
July 29, 2021
The Protection and Advocacy for Assistive Technology (PAAT) program was created to allow Protection and Advocacy Systems across the country to assist individuals with disabilities in receiving, using, or maintaining assistive technology devices or assistive technology services through case management, legal representation and self-advocacy training.
DRSC can help:
- Provide self-advocacy training, education, and outreach in the community.
- Provide information that will help people with disabilities successfully advocate for themselves about AT devices or services.
- Provide referral to other places in the community that help people with disabilities find or pay for AT.
- Work with groups supporting AT rights for people with disabilities.
- Teach groups of people about AT rights to raise awareness in the disability community.
- Help people with disabilities who need AT to live in their own homes, or move from
an institution or facility to the homes of their choice.
- Help students with disabilities in public schools who have been denied or need AT evaluations, devices or supportive services.
Help people with disabilities that need AT to perform in post-secondary school or employment settings.